Request for Disability Support Services
DSS Mission Statement
Disability Support Services (DSS) is committed to ensuring that students with disabilities have equal opportunity to participate in, contribute to, and benefit from all university programs, services, and activities. DSS provides leadership to the campus community on disability-related issues, establishes policies and procedures for obtaining and delivering services, and ensures that the university is in compliance with the legal requirements for serving our students with disabilities.
INDIANA UNIVERSITY SOUTH BEND
OFFICE OF DISABILITY SUPPORT SERVICES
1700 Mishawaka Ave
Administration Building—Room 170B
Post Office Box 7111
South Bend IN 46634-7111
Office Number: (574) 520-4460
Fax Number: (574) 520-4610
Anne Drake, Director
The following guidelines are provided to assure that the documentation is adequate and appropriate to verify eligibility and to support requests for accommodations or auxiliary aids. Disability documentation should include:
- A diagnostic statement identifying the disability, date of the current diagnostic evaluation, and the date of the original diagnosis from a qualified licensed professional.
- A description of the diagnostic criteria and/or diagnostic test(s) used.
- A description of the current functional impact/limitations of the disability.
- Treatments, medications, assistive devices/services currently prescribed or used.
- A description of the expected progression or stability of the disability over time.
Guidelines of the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) for documentation of learning disabilities will be referred to in reviewing documentation pertaining to learning disabilities. Detailed documentation guidelines are posted on our website https://students.iusb.edu/student-support-services/disability-support-services/index.html under the prospective student section.