Loaned Equipment

The Disability Support Services (DSS) office is able to lend some adaptive equipment and devices to qualified students free of charge. This may include digital voice recorders, personal FM systems, and laptop computers. Equipment is typically loaned on a semester basis.

A student must sign an equipment loan agreement for any device or equipment received from the DSS office. Failure to return the equipment or device by the end of the semester may result in a hold being placed on the student’s account that will block registration. The hold will be removed once the student has returned or otherwise satisfactorily accounted for the equipment.

The Adaptive Technology Center on the Bloomington campus can also loan some adaptive hardware and software to qualified students with disabilities. DSS can assist students in obtaining this hardware/software.

Audio Recording in the Classroom

Disability Support Services may approve the use of an audio recorder in the classroom as an accommodation for a student with a qualifying disability. The use of a recorder is subject to the conditions listed below:

The class recordings are only for the student’s personal use in study and preparation for that class.

The student may not share these recordings with any other person, whether or not that person is in his/her class.

The student acknowledges that the recordings are sources, the use of which in any academic work is governed by rules of academic conduct.

The student agrees to destroy recordings when they are no longer needed for his/her academic work, and no later than the conclusion of the course.

The student understands that failure to adhere to these provisions may result in the loss of permission to use a recorder in future classes.

The student is required to sign an agreement to abide by these provisions.

Service Animals

Service animals accompanying persons with disabilities are permitted on the Indiana University South Bend campus. Service animals are animals trained to assist people with disabilities in the activities of daily living. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines a service animal as “any guide dog, signal dog, or other animal individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including, but not limited to, guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals with impaired hearing to intruders or sounds, providing minimal protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items. ” An animal that meets this definition is considered a service animal regardless of whether it has been licensed or certified by a state or local government or a training program.

The person a service animal assists is typically referred to as a partner. The partner’s disability may not be visible. If you are not sure whether an animal is a pet or a service animal, you may ask if the animal is a pet. You may exercise your judgment as to whether a person’s statements about the functions of the animal make it reasonable to think that the animal is a service animal. Although you may ask the person how the animal is assisting them, you may not ask for details about the person’s disability.

Information faculty, staff, and students should know about service animals

A service dog can be of a variety of breed or size. It might wear specialized equipment, such as a backpack, harness, or special collar or leash, but this is not a requirement.

Allow a service animal to accompany the partner at all times and everywhere on campus. The courts have upheld the rights of service animal owners to take service animals into food service locations.

Do not pet a service animal without first asking permission; touching the animal might distract it from its work.

Speak first to the partner.

Do not deliberately startle a service animal.

Do not feed a service animal.

Do not separate or attempt to separate a partner from his or her service animal.

In case of an emergency, every effort should be made to keep the animal with its partner. However, the first effort should be toward the partner; this may necessitate leaving an animal behind in certain emergency situations.

Requirements for service animals and their partners

The service animal cannot pose a direct threat to the health and safety of person on the campus.

Local ordinances regarding animals apply to service animals, including requirements for immunization, licensing, noise, restraint, at-large animals and dangerous animals. Dogs must wear a license tag and a current rabies vaccination tag.

The partner must be in full control of the animal at all times, including use of leash, as appropriate for the disability. The care and supervision of a service animal is solely the responsibility of its partner. The animal must be maintained and used at all times in ways that no do not create safety hazards for other people.

The partner is responsible for cleaning up the animal’s feces. The partner should always carry equipment and bags sufficient to clean up and properly dispose of the animal’s feces. Partners who are not physically able to pick up and dispose of feces are responsible for making all necessary arrangements for assistance. The University is not responsible for these services.

Personal Care Attendants

The provision of a personal care attendant is entirely the responsibility of the student needing this care while on campus. Indiana University South Bend does not provide, assist, or train personal care attendants. A student can contact the Disability Support Services office for referral information about obtaining a personal care attendant.

Parking Services

A student with a disability who wishes to park a vehicle in a space designated for disability parking must obtain an IU South Bend disabled parking permit, as well as the state parking permit. The Parking Services office issues a two week temporary permit to allow the applicant to visit a physician. Upon written documentation from a physician, parking services will extend the issuance of a temporary campus permit for up to 30 days. If the disabled permit is required for more than 30 days, the applicant must obtain the state permit within the 30 day time period.

The issuance of parking permits is handled through the Parking Services office, and not through Disability Support Services. The Parking Services office is located in room 112 in the Administration building and can be contacted at (574) 520-5528. You may also get further information online at http://www.iusb.edu/parking/index.php