This scholarship provides financial support for undergraduate IU South Bend students from St. Joseph County, Indiana, or adjacent Indiana counties, to complete a bachelor’s degree at IU South Bend. Current undergraduates, incoming freshmen, and transfer students meeting the residency requirement may apply. The scholarship is awarded annually by the IU South Bend scholarship committee.
- Rank below the top 10 percent of their graduating high school class;
- Demonstrate financial need by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA);
- Maintain a minimum 2.5 semester and cumulative GPA and satisfactory academic progress toward a degree at IU South Bend;
- Be enrolled a minimum of 6 credit hours in an undergraduate program; and
- Priority is given to students from St. Joseph County, Indiana.
Scholarship awards vary depending on financial need and the number of credit hours enrolled. Maximum annual awards are expected to be $4,000 for full time enrollment, $3000 for three quarter time enrollment, and $2,000 for half time enrollment. Award amounts include a book stipend and additional funds to pay child care expenses at the IU South Bend Child Development Center may be requested. Cole Scholarship awards may be given during summer term and are awarded based on availability of funds.
Recipients are subject to the IU South Bend Financial Aid Withdrawal Policy. This means that all financial aid, including the Cole Scholarship, is recalculated under two circumstances:
1) if a recipient withdraws from a class or classes during the first week of classes; or
2) if a recipient withdraws from all classes during the first 60 percent of the semester.
The recalculation of awards under either circumstance may require a repayment of funds to the Cole Scholarship account. Any required repayment must be completed before further scholarship funds are released.
Monday, January 16th or following business day
Completed applications should be submitted to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships. Applications may be dropped off at the Education and Arts Building 2003 or mailed to 1002 S. Esther Street, PO Box 7111, South Bend, IN 46634. Late applications will be considered on a funds available basis.