Residency Application Instructions

Residency Application Instructions

General Information

  • Students have until the last day of the effective semester to deliver their completed application for reclassification to the Office of the Registrar.
  • The application may not be submitted electronically. It must be downloaded, completed, signed, and returned to the Office of the Registrar.
  • The application should be completed and signed by the student, rather than by the student's parent or spouse.
  • The student will need to provide supporting documentation.
  • The student should provide additional documentation in any of the applicable categories listed below.
  • Please contact the Office of the Registrar, 574-520-4898, for information on supporting documentation.
  • Upon receipt in this office, the completed application and supporting materials are date stamped and logged; applications are reviewed in the order in which they are received. Response on decisions will be sent within two weeks of date received.

Students Under 21 Years of Age


Students under the age of 21 who claim emancipation must provide notarized statements from their parents. These statements should indicate the level of financial support provided to the student and a copy of federal income tax returns.

Parents Moving to Indiana

Students under the age of 21 who claim Indiana residence based upon the establishment by parents of their residence in Indiana must provide a notarized statement from the parents. This statement must be written after the parents move to Indiana and should indicate the residence, the reason for the change in residence, and information concerning the disposition of their former residence.

Legal Guardianship Agreements

Students under the age of 21 who claim Indiana residence based on the residence of a legal guardian must provide a copy of the court documents which outline the need for and responsibilities of the guardian.

Military Families

Active duty military personnel, their spouses or their children who claim Indiana residence while stationed outside of the state should provide copies of their state income tax returns for the most recent three consecutive tax years.

Permanent Residents

Non-U.S. citizens who have been granted permanent resident status by the Immigration and Naturalization Service should provide a copy of both sides of their "green card" or copies of other official documents that reflect their status as permanent residents.