• Grade Grievance Policy

    If a student disputes his/her final course grade, the student must discuss the matter with the faculty member assigning the grade no later than three years from the end date of the semester in question. Grade appeals submitted for semesters beyond that deadline will not be accepted.

    If the faculty member disagrees with the student’s case for changing the grade, the student may appeal to the chairperson of the department that offered the course. If the chairperson disagrees, the student may appeal to the dean or program director of the area that offered the course. If the faculty member, chairperson, dean, or program director all disagree with the student’s request, the student may then appeal to the Academic Affairs Committee of the IU South Bend Academic Senate. That committee then makes its recommendation to the vice chancellor for academic affairs, who makes a final resolution.

    In those instances where either the faculty member, Chairperson, Dean, or Program Director supports the student’s appeal, the student and the person supporting the appeal must submit (to the Office of the Registrar, Administration Building 134G) a written appeal to the Academic Affairs Committee of the IU South Bend Academic Senate. That committee will review the appeal and make a recommendation to the vice chancellor for academic affairs, who makes a final resolution. (approved by Academic Senate 2/24/95)

  • Grade Replacement Policy

    This option is not available to graduate students.

    The grade replacement option discussed in this document is subject to the following considerations:
    The policy applies only to undergraduate courses taken by an IU South Bend student who has not yet completed a bachelor's degree. If a bachelor's degree has been awarded, in no case may a grade be replaced for a course taken prior to the awarding of that degree.

    Replaced grades are merely excluded from the calculation of the cumulative grade point average (GPA). All grades will remain a part of a student's academic record. An X next to the grade on the transcript will indicate that the grade is not included in the calculation of the IU GPA. Each academic unit may use a GPA calculation that does not honor grade replacement.

    A student may exercise the grade replacement policy for a maximum of three courses or a maximum of 10 credit hours, whichever comes first. A student may exercise the grade replacement policy only once for a single course. Once invoked, a student may not subsequently request reversal of the grade replacement granted to a particular course.

    The complete policy is available in the IU South Bend Campus Bulletin.

  • Incomplete Grades

    All Incomplete grades are automatically converted to F’s one calendar year after the Incomplete was recorded. Students receiving a grade of I in a course should not register for the course a second time. Additional information is available online. See the current IU South Bend Bulletin for complete information.

    Remember that if a student is attending your class to complete a previous grade of Incomplete, the student's name will not appear on your roster.  In order to award the grade you will need to submit an eGrade Change or a Removal of Incomplete form.

    If you are assigning an Incomplete, be sure to give your department any necessary information on the work the student must finish.  This is usually done by completing a card and turning it into the department.  Check with your department or school for more information.

  • Faculty Procedure to Remove an Incomplete

    eGrade Change Request Procedures

    1. Log into your One.IU Account.
    2. Search “eGrade Change” in the search bar at the top of the screen.
    3. Click on Submit eGrade Change to go into the system.
    4. Select the correct Term for the grade you would like to change.
    5. *If you have taught on multiple campuses, make sure you select the correct term and campus combination. Once you are done click continue.
    6. Select the course for which the grade has changed. *Rosters with an approved and posted status are able to be revised. All others will not allow access to change grades. Once you have verified that you have the correct course and student you can click continue to go on. If you do not see the students name listed on the roster he/she may have added the course late. If this is the case you would then need to follow the procedures to complete the paper form.
    7. A list of students with a grade for that class will be displayed. Select the radio button next to the correct student. *If there is not a button displayed you will need to follow the procedures to complete a grade change form by paper. Once this is done click continue.
    8. Then select the new grade from the Select Grade drop down menu and select a reason for the grade change from the Select Reason for Grade Change drop down menu. *This is a required field. Once you are done you will click continue.
    9. Any notes that you may have can be typed into the Rationale for Grade Change text box. *This is a required field.
    10. Once you have input all of the proper information you may click submit to finalize the request. Once the request is finalized, the instructor and student will receive an email message notifying them that the change in SIS is complete.

    Paper Form Procedures

    1. Pick up a Removal of Incomplete Form from the recorder in your department or school.
    2. Complete the form and return it to the Office of the Registrar (please do not give the form to the student to deliver).
      1. Be sure to submit the form by the deadline when Incomplete grades automatically change to failing grades (approximately 13 months after the end of the term in which the Incomplete was awarded). It is still possible to change the grade after that conversion has occurred, but it will require a formal appeal to the Academic Affairs Committee.
      2. If the student is completing the work for another instructor by attending your class, provide the appropriate grade information to the original instructor. He or she is responsible for filing the Removal of Incomplete Form with the registrar’s office.
      3. If the original instructor is no longer with the university or is unavailable (i.e., on sabbatical), provide the necessary information to the department chair. He or she will file the form on behalf of the original instructor.
    3. The dean of the student’s school may authorize the change of an Incomplete to a withdrawal by completing a Removal of Incomplete Form.
    4. The Office of the Registrar will update his or her student record.
  • FNN and FN and F Grading

    In compliance with University Faculty Council Policy (FN Non-Attendance, March 1999), faculty members are required to differentiate students who fail a class because they quit attending from those who failed the class on merit.

    FN - The grade of FN should be given to those students who attended your course and their lack of attendance is the basis for a failing grade. If you enter a grade of FN, a last date of attendance must also be entered into the Last Date Attend field. Give your best date for when the student either last attended or participated in the course. This may be the last quiz or assignment that was turned in or, if you take attendance, a more exact date. The system will not let you enter a date in this field that is not within the term begin and term end dates. The grade of FN will be treated on the transcript in the same way we handle the grade of F. The student will not see the FN.

    Should you award an FN grade, please record the date you provided on the roster in your own records, such as your grade book. Use of the grade will provide documentation required by the auditors to comply with federal financial aid regulations.

    FNN - If the student never attended the class, enter a grade of FNN. It is not necessary to enter a Last Date of Attendance with the FNN grade. The grade of FNN will be treated on the transcript in the same way we handle the grade of F. The student will not see the FNN.

    F - You should, of course, still award an F to any student whom you have determined has "earned" it, whether as a result of poor academic performance or spotty attendance.

  • Submitting Final Grades

    The Office of the Registrar relies on timely submission of grades so that we are able to provide the grades to students as soon as possible. According to the guidelines established by the University Faculty Council, final grades are due to the Office of the Registrar 48 hours after the examination.

    Final grades are submitted by faculty through an online process.

    Grades submitted via One.IU must be approved/saved/submitted no later than 10:00 pm to guarantee overnight posting to SIS, with availability the next morning on One.IU.

    *Note: Once grades have been submitted, grade changes may be made only via faculty IUSB eMail, eGrade Change or submission of the Grade Change Form to the Office of the Registrar.  Removal of Incompletes, however, may be done electronically via eGrade Change, or by submitting the Grade Change Form.  After the Corrected Grades period, all grade changes must be submitted via appeal to the Academic Affairs Committee.

  • Grades Submitted Late

    Grades not turned in by the deadline will result in grades of "NR" being assigned to the student.  Late grades may also result in a student not being allowed to return for the next semester, not being allowed to compete in intercollegiate athletics, or not able to receive financial aid.  To save yourself phone calls from concerned students, parents, and school recorders, please get your grades in on time.

  • Pass/Fail Option (P/F)

    An undergraduate student may enroll in up to a maximum of eight elective courses to be taken with a grade of P (Pass) or F (Fail) during the program. The Pass/Fail option may not be taken when otherwise restricted by division regulations. See the current IU South Bend Bulletin for complete information. Applications for the Pass/Fail option are available at your academic division office. Completed applications must be turned in to the Office of the Registrar by the deadline listed on the academic calendar.

  • Satisfactory/Fail Courses (S/F)

    Some Indiana University courses are offered on an S/F (Satisfactory/Failure) grading basis. S/F courses are noted as “S/F GRADED” in the schedule. In such cases, all students enrolled in the course will receive a grade of S or F, not regular grades of A, B, C, or D. S grades cannot subsequently be changed to a regular letter grade.