Placement exam results are used to place students in courses appropriate to their skill level. All required exams must be completed prior to meeting with an advisor to register for classes or attending New Student Orientation.
Math Exam (ALEKS)
The mathematics exam (ALEKS) is administered online. Click here to take the math exam.
Most students are required to take ALEKS. However, you are waived if:
- You have transferred in a math course from another college or university that is equivalent to a 100-level or above math course at IU South Bend;
- You took an IU South Bend math course as a high school student and received college credit for it;
- You received a passing score on an Advanced Placement (AP) exam.
- You took ALEKS at another college or university within a year.
Important Update: The English placement exam is transitioning to a fully online exam, so there will be no need to come to campus to take this exam. We expect this to be launched sometime in early to mid-April. This will in no way hinder your ability as a new student to register for classes in a timely manner for the summer and/or fall semester. Please check back for updates. In the meantime, if you haven’t done so, you can take the ALEKS math exam, which is also online.
Most students are required to take the English placement exam. However, you are waived if:
- You have transferred in the equivalent of IU South Bend course ENG-W131 from another college or university.
- You took ENG-W131 as a high school student and received credit for it.
- You received a score of 4 or above on the Advance Placement (AP) exam for English composition.
World Language Studies
Students who have studied French, German, Japanese, and/or Spanish are encouraged to take the World Language Studies exam for placement purposes.
If you have any questions, please contact the Gateway Information Center.