Placement exam results are used to place students in courses appropriate to their skill level. All required exams must be completed prior to meeting with an advisor to register for classes or attending New Student Orientation.
Math Exam (ALEKS)Take the math exam
Most students are required to take ALEKS. However, you are waived if:
- You have transferred in a math course from another college or university that is equivalent to a 100-level or above math course at IU South Bend;
- You took an IU South Bend math course as a high school student and received college credit for it;
- You received a passing score on an Advanced Placement (AP) exam.
- You took ALEKS at another college or university within a year.
The English exam is taken online via the Canvas system. You will have 75 minutes to write an essay on one of two essay prompts provided.
Most students are required to take the English exam. You are waived if:
- You have transferred in the equivalent of IU South Bend course ENG-W131 from another college or university.
- You took ENG-W131 as a high school student and received credit for it.
- You received a score of 4 or above on the Advance Placement (AP) exam for English composition.
Students may take the English Placement Exam once per testing session, provided they have not already enrolled in a First-Year Writing class. The Fall testing session runs from early October through early January and the Spring/Summer session runs from early March through late August. Once a student has enrolled in a First-Year Writing class, that signifies acceptance of the placement score, and he or she may not retake the placement exam. Note: students will also do a diagnostic writing exercise on the first day of their First-Year Writing class, at which point the instructor will either confirm the accuracy of the placement or recommend moving the student to the appropriate level.Take the English exam
World Language Studies
Students who have studied French, German, Japanese, and/or Spanish are encouraged to take the World Language Studies exam for placement purposes.Take the World Language Studies Exam
If you have any questions, please contact the Gateway Information Center.