New Student Orientation
- There are several dates to choose from, beginning in April and continuing through August. Students are highly encouraged to attend the earliest possible orientation to ensure best course selection as registration for classes takes place on this day. Each orientation date is first-come, first-served and slots can fill up quickly.
- 8:30a – 9:00a
Check-in at the University Grill, located in the Administration Building (click here for a campus map and directions). Please note that no breakfast items are served in the morning. A full lunch is provided at mid-day.
- 9:00a – 12:30p
Orientation program focused on our 3-part message, “You Belong Here. You can do this. We’re Here to Help.” You will engage with faculty, staff, and student leaders in a series of small and large group sessions. The focus will be on accessing campus resources, getting involved, financial aid, successfully transitioning into the collegiate environment, campus safety, and much more. A campus tour will help familiarize yourself with the campus layout and also the location of campus services that you will have just heard about (this tour covers different aspects of the campus than those given on a campus visit).
- 12:30p – 1:15p
Lunch, featuring many student clubs and organizations, where you can find out more on how to get involved outside of the classroom.
- 1:15p – 4:00p
Registration for classes. Dismissal time will vary depending on how long it takes to register for classes and how many students are in attendance.
- It is expected that all students new to IU South Bend will attend for the full program. Please plan accordingly.
- Set up your official IU computing account You will need this for taking placement exams prior to orientation and registering for classes at orientation.
- Complete any required placement exams in math, English, and/or chemistry at least one week prior to your orientation date. This will ensure that academic advisors are fully prepared to assist you in registering for classes at orientation.
- Check your Indiana University email for any updates prior to orientation.
- Parents and Guests are certainly welcome to attend, but are not required to come. We have a separate Parent and Guest Orientation that runs concurrently with the student program and covers similar material, but targeted for the families and guests of our new students.
- Please note that parents and other guests will be separate from students during most of the orientation day, including registering for classes. We feel it is critical for our new students to become familiar with the IU South Bend campus and to meet and interact with other students, faculty, and staff, and register for classes independently of their parents or other guests.
- If parents and guests do not stay the whole day, please have your student make contact with you when they are done registering for classes. Dismissal times will vary depending on how long it takes to register for classes and the number of students in attendance.
- An official form of ID, as you will need this to obtain your Crimson Card at the conclusion of orientation. This can be a driver’s license or previous school ID.
- IU username and passphrase, which you will use to register for classes (and would have used to complete placement exams prior to orientation).
- Weather appropriate attire and comfortable shoes.